Thursday, April 16, 2009

Standing Firm


So I'm on a tiny crusade. Maybe its my life mission or something, or maybe its just a fad for right now. But the mission is this, I want people to understand being a Christian to mean knowing and following the words of Jesus. Call me crazy, but first let me explain. I grew up in church almost my entire life, and for the most part it has been a pretty positive experience. But it wasn't until after I graduated high school and was out on my own that I really started asking myself some hard questions about what it was I actually believed.

At some point though, I understood and believed that becoming a follower of Jesus was the only way to truly find "eternal life" which as I understand it, is simply life that works both here and now, and there and then. But the problem was I realized that in church I had just been taught how to say that I was a Christian. But I honestly couldn't have told you more than 10 or 15 things that Jesus actually said to do.

And I've found that today isn't much different. Most professing Christians (little chirst's) are woefully ignorant on what it was that Jesus actually asked them do, and how he asked them to live. Now they know what their denominational stances are about issues like abortion and gay marriage, but they will sooner take you to the words of Moses than those of Jesus.

And this is sad to me. Not because Moses is bad, or that any part of the Bible is not important, but in my mind if our life and hope is centered on Jesus, and we call ourselves his followers, shouldn't we be VERY familiar with his entire body of work? All of what he said and did and asked us to do?

If not, that would honestly be like saying you were a rabid Beatles fan, but just because you liked that one song Hey Jude.

Like saying you are a Yankee's fan because you like their logo.

Like saying you're a follower of Jesus just because you want to go to heaven.

The latest song is just about the parable of the wise and foolish builders. The point of which is, the foolish builder is the one who hears Jesus' words but then goes away and doesn't put them into practice.

The problem for Christianity is not so much that they have not heard what Jesus said, but simply that there is almost no intention whatsoever to attempt to live as he suggested. Turn the other cheek, Lay down your life, Love God with all you have, Serve your friends and enemies alike, Pray, Fast and don't judge your brother, and most of all Love the WHOLE WORLD like He did.

If only...



Life's A Beach

They say life is a beach, but I think that I’m finally getting tired of all of this sand
cause here my house keeps slippin’ and my faith starts dippin’
when I listened to the radio man
Give me the felt board jesus and my snack and a little bit
of time to chew on his words
Cause I’m dreaming of a house that’s laughin when the waves come crashing cause we know it’s gonna stand firm

oh can’t we go back to the words filled with truth and grace
I wanna hear from the one who has gone up and seen their face
Dressing me in his robes of love, and telling me about His spirit to come
He said be looking for a Spirit of hope and peace,
in Him I’m feeling my deepest longings cease
These words are making me whole, and they’re taking me home

Sunday used to be a home for the poor and needy, but we got a little greedy and wise
so now their spots got taken by the ones with bacon
who know their way around a white lie.
Oh we’ll sing you our favorite songs
and tell you bout the books that we’ve recently read
but we don’t have the time
for your friend named jesus and following the words that he said!

oh can’t we go back to the words filled with truth and grace
I wanna hear from the one who has gone up and seen their face
Dressed up in his robes of love, and telling me about His spirit to come
He said be looking for a Spirit of hope and peace,
in Him I’m feeling my deepest longings cease
These words are making me whole, and they’re taking me home

Home to be with whom
laid death back in his tomb
If you seek Him while He’s near,
He’ll tune that ear of yours to hear

those words filled with truth and grace
If you wanna hear from the one who has gone up and seen their face
He dressing in his robes of love, and telling me about His spirit to come
He said be looking for a Spirit of hope and peace,
in Him I’m feeling my deepest longings cease
These words are making me whole, and they’re talking me home

No comments:

Post a Comment